Saturday, November 14, 2009

Week Forty-Six: Little House Needleworks "Season of Plenty"






Hi everyone! Hope you all had an enjoyable and relaxing week. I stitched another Little House Needleworks piece over the past few days. "Season of Plenty" was stitched over one on 28 ct. cream Lugana using DMC threads. I had to change the color of the floss for the months and use a darker shade because the suggested color just didn't show up on my fabric. It was the first time I had ever stitched on Lugana, but I really enjoyed it. Do you have a favorite fabric? I will stitch on just about anything as long as it compliments the colors of the design. I'm still not sure how I'll finish this one....maybe a pretty pinkeep? I just love these seasonal stitchings--there is something very comforting about them. They invariably feature a house in the design and I sure love my time at home. The older I get the more I enjoy puttering around the house. Does anyone else feel that way?

Do you remember that tiny carved Halloween gourd from my Week Forty-Four post? Well, the grinning fellow has taken on a slightly different appearance--all of his green coloring has disappeared! After drying for a few weeks, he now looks like this. His wizened, shriveled appearance bears a strong resemblance (at least for my family members) to a certain character that often appears at Christmas time. No, no... not Santa! But, imagine him with a little red and white Santa hat, white collared red shirt, and a green face. Is the picture getting any clearer? How about... Dr. Seuss' character...THE GRINCH! What do you think?

Thank you all for taking the time to visit me each week--I love reading your comments and visiting your blogs, too!

23 comments:

Laural said...

Another great finish! That little guy just reminded me that my Great Grandma used to have a dried apple head doll for years. Gussy that bad boy up!!

Blu said...

Lovely finish. And I definitely saw the Grinch immediately! Pity it didn't stay green, the resemblance would have been so much stronger!

Rachel S-H said...

What a great finish!

The gourd is really cute. He is a cute little Grinch of a gourd

Daffycat said...

Oooo, beautiful finish! I really love Autumn designs.

ROFLOL That gourd is PERFECT! Save him, let him dry completely. He is awesome!

Mylene said...

Another lovely finish, congrats. I love the colors you have chosen for it and I am sure it will look great into a pinkeep.

The gourd is just tooo cute.

Have a nice weekend.

Theresa said...

Ha~~ I totally see Grinch!!!!! So funny~~

You stitching is beautiful!!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!

Claire said...

Wow Great finish.Yes he does look like the Grinch.

Carolyn NC said...

Too funny about the pumpkin - looks like the originial shrinking heads! Love the finish!

Viooltje (Violet) said...

I love your LHN pumpkinpatch *happy dance*, my favourite fabric is 32 or 40 ct linen.
:o)
Your own little pumkin needs a santa hat now I think?
Now you have to search for knitting needles, LOL.
:oD

I hope we see him again in December?
;o)

Pam said...

I love your LHN finish. I discovered these designs when my LNS opened up about two years ago and I have been in love with them ever since.

Wow!! That gourd really does look like the Grinch. Paint him green, add a little Santsa hat, and you're all set!

Shari said...

beautiful!!!!!!!! I have that one---just haven't done it! I love stitching on lugana. Yours looks great on that color!!!
Yup, I thought of the grinch as soon as I saw the gourd too!!!!!
Really enjoy your blog each week!!! Keep up the great work!

Myra said...

Another beautiful piece Carol! I will also stitch on about anything but I really prefer linen. The Grinch is fabulous! I think I like him better this way. LOL Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

Cute finish and I love the looks of it stitched over one. My favorite fabric is 28 ct jobelan or lugana stitched over one or 32 ct jobelan or lugana stitched over 2.

I immediately thought of the Grinch when I first saw the photo and I think he would be cute with a small Santa hat :)

Edit said...

I love the designs of LHN and this one is also very beautiful. I love to see week by week the beauties you stitch. At the end of the year you could take a group photo of them so we could see them all together :)

Brigitte said...

What a nice little finish.
I love stitching on linen which I definitely prefer. But I also other kinds of evenweave in my stash and sometimes use them for smaller pieces.
Litle Grinch looks funny indeed.

Pumpkin said...

Adorable finish Carol! Lovely done one over one.

ROFLMBO! Definitely the Grinch :o)

Cindy's Stitching said...

Cute design. Love the Grinch. It really does look like it. I read your comment on friendship grows that I did. I do not like that my friend is going to VA and leaving me behind, but it is a new chapter for her. I hope to move there in 3 years myself. I will always be friends with her. I of course I sent love with her on her new journey. To me life is about friendships, family, and memories. A handstitched item to send along will always be remembered by her. She really loved it.

Michelle said...

A lovely finish. It should look great as a pinkeep - I also like to finish small pieces as flatfolds.

I love to stitch on any 100% cotton evenweave (not Aida) - Jubilee is one of my favourites.

Siobhán said...

Another beautiful finish! Congratulations. :) I saw The Grinch right away--that is too cool!

Karyn said...

OMW Carol....your stitching is amazing and inspiring....and so is your blog!

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting my blog...I am so glad to meet ya ;)

Hugs

Barb said...

Yet another lovely piece Carol! You inspire me. And the Grinch is wonderful! So amazing that the gourd dried like that.

Robin said...

Another great finish. I have some LHN I am itching to start but have made the promise to FINISH something before I dare.

The Grinch is so obvious. You couldn't have done that if your tried.

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog.I love your works,they are so beautiful!
greetings from Hungary:Manka